Monday, January 6, 2014

Becoming More Social


Hello, Loves. It's a new year and for some people that means going out and trying new things and meeting new people. If you're naturally introverted, being more social isn’t an easy overnight affair. It’s something that takes some time and getting used to. For some people it’s harder than it is for others and that’s okay because everyone does things at their own pace. Personally, I’ve never really been much of a social butterfly. I’m more of a wet winged butterfly with its head stuck in the crack of my own cocoon.  I hate putting myself out there when it comes to making friends. My fear of social rejection is only rivaled by my irrational fear of getting pooped on by a bird, and getting my hand stuck to an exceptionally sticky piece of ice. I clearly have some issues but that’s beside the point. My point is actually that if you feel like life is passing you by or that you simply want to get out into the world more and make friends, you can do it. You don’t have to do anything huge to start being more social but there are some things that you can do to help you on your journey. These are a few things that helped me get into the world a bit more:

- Hangout with people that make you feel comfortable. Being around people that make you feel good will make it easier for you to be in new and unfamiliar situations. The more relaxed you feel, the easier it will be to let your personality flow and talk to new people.

- Don’t be afraid to say “hi”. You can put yourself out there without throwing yourself to the wolves and feeling like you’re setting yourself up for rejection and shame. Sometimes the easiest way to start making new friends is to just say hello and make small talk over a common interest. If they reciprocate interest in talking then great but if not then just end the conversation and move on because they probably suck anyway. This will make talking to people a more casual experience and it shouldn’t make you feel as though you’re trying too hard because you’re just talking to people about things you enjoy.

- Be secure with yourself and don’t second-guess yourself. If you like an outfit, wear it. If you want to talk about something, then do it. Don’t worry about what other people will think or say because those aren’t the people that you want to be around anyway. Being yourself is what is going to gravitate the right people towards you that are going to impact your life in a positive way and make you a better you.

- Say “yes” more. Sometimes…more often than not it’s in our nature to say no to things that don’t seem appealing or different than what we are normally used to doing. That isn’t always the best idea though because it can cause you to miss out on a lot of new and fun experiences. Now I'm not saying you should say yes to everything because that would be a bad idea and you could end up in some sketchy situations. So let's just say no to things like hot railing meth and drug smuggling and yes to finding a new swimming spot in the woods or going to see a new band you've never heard of.

I eased into things at first but then after awhile it became a lot easier for me to talk to people and do things that I wouldn’t normally do. It’s allowed me to have a lot more fun and experience things that I normally would have never done if I didn’t allow myself to be more social from time to time. Don’t get me wrong I still love my alone time but it is nice to know that I could go out and have a good time too if I wanted.

Until next time.

- Lexi

No comments :

Post a Comment