Saturday, February 21, 2015

Rimmel Show Off Lip Velvet | Review


I feel like I may or may not have said this before but, this is totally the year of the liquid lipsticks. Makeup companies from drugstore to high-end are jumping on board for this trend and it couldn't be any more exciting. A year or two ago Rimmel came out with their Show Off Lip Lacquers and now they have came out with their Rimmel Show Off Lip Velvets. The premise behind them is virtually the same; super creamy light-weight lip paints but, the only difference is that these ones are MATTE. 



[Atomic Rose]


[Burning Lava]

These Rimmel Show Off Lip Velvets come in five different colors which are all super pigmented. I personally only picked up two of the five. I got Atomic Rose and Burning Lava. They are very creamy so they glide on effortlessly and feel soft on the lips. These lip velvets look like they have a little shine on them at first when you apply them but, they dry down to a velvety finish. Although these dry down they never become a true matte and if they do it isn't until it's blotted or it has been an hour or so. I do have to say that the Atomic Rose is more matte than Burning Lava for some unbeknownst reason. One thing that really sets these lippies apart from other matte liquid lipsticks is that these claim to increase your lips' moisture instead of dry them out like many other liquid lipsticks do. I assume this is because they aren't true mattes. They do actually feel decently hydrating and they never feel dry or cakey. The downside is that I found that with Burning Lava that the color began to bleed within the first two hours when I didn't wear it with a lip liner. These also claim to last for up to eight hours but, I don't think that is 100% the case. Even after minimal eating these lip velvets begin to wear and smudge a bit... usually onto my chin; reapplication is easy though and you don't have to worry about any clumping or patchiness. Besides when you're eating these lip velvets will naturally fade throughout the day and get a bit patchy so I would say these last maybe 4 maybe 5 hours without touch ups if you aren't eating. 


[Left to Right: Atomic Rose and Burning Lava]

With all of that being said I think that these Rimmel Show Off Lip Velvets are okay but, they aren't anything to write home about. For me personally I would have skipped the hydration aspect of these lip velvets just so I could have better staying power from these little guys. Since they weren't fully matte I found myself worrying about them a little bit more than usual.

No comments :

Post a Comment