Monday, June 22, 2015

A Few New Drugstore Buys


I feel like I haven't been picking up many makeup products from the drugstore recently. As soon as I came to this realization I got an itch to try out a few new drugstore products I had been hearing about. Armed with a mission and zero willpower to turn down an interesting beauty product I waltzed into Target leaving with a few more things than I had originally planned. I'm slightly ashamed of my weakness but also proud I didn't do more damage. When something looks new and interesting you can't just leave it behind, right?!


I went in for the Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hr. Foundation and the NYX Above and Beyond Full Coverage Concealer because I heard they were both pretty amazing products and ya know I just had to find out for myself. Then of course I saw some new makeup business going on and that just had my name written all over it too since I love finding great products for a good price but, then again who doesn't. 

I don't love everything I got which is fine since we all can't be winners all the time. Honestly it could have been worse and I am pretty excited about some of these purchases. 

Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hr. Foundation - I was so excited and then I became so disappointed. I love a good full coverage matte foundation but, I found that this particular one was just too dry and cakey despite having a serum in it. I tried it for a few days and even tried a using both a beauty blender and a brush to apply it. It applied unevenly with the beauty blender, not really covering areas that I was trying to layer on coverage. Then with the brush it seemed to go on too heavy and streaky. I really wanted to love this foundation but oh well.

Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover Eyeshadow Primer - I don't know if it's just me or what but I feel like the drugstore doesn't really have many eyeshadow primers so I was pretty interested in this one. It's ehhh (and I had really high hopes for some reason.) It has an oily yet powdery feel which I found to be a little strange and counterintuitive. I don't have super oily eyelids so it worked out just fine but, I feel like this wouldn't have worked if I did. My eyeshadow stayed in place all day but, towards the end of the day I could tell it was getting a little oily and if I touched my eyes my eyeshadow definitely would have slipped right off. So it really didn't make anything last any longer, it probably made it stay way less than if I would have used my typical primer.  

Maybelline ColorBlur 35 Plum Please - If I see a new lip color I feel like I need to have it in my life ohh and if it's matte?! - Forget about it it's mine. So clearly I was a bit excited when I saw the new Maybelline ColorBlur matte cream pencils. It's called Plum Please but I would actually consider this more of a dark crimson red. I don't understand the plastic smudger because wanting a blurred lip is baffling to me but, regardless the color is gorgeous and it's super creamy. When it dries down it feels super light on the lips and doesn't feel like it's drying out my lips.

NYX Above and Beyond Full Coverage Concealer - A client had came into my work one day and she was talking about how amazing this concealer was how well it covered her severe hyperpigmentation so I knew I had to give it a shot. It worked so well but, the only downside is that the shade range isn't great so I picked a shade that was slightly lighter than I would have prefered. Other than that it covers amazingly and as long as I properly blend it I have no issues with it not matching my complexion. 

CoverGirl Outlast Stay Luminous Foundation - Typically I'm not into Luminous foundations but, it's the summer so I figured I would give the whole natural glowy skin thing a whirl. The finish of the foundation was pretty natural so the luminous glow is pretty subtle and doesn't look greasy or shiny. It goes on evenly and gives a nice medium coverage. The coverage can be slightly built up for areas that need a little more attention but, it never looks too heavy or cakey. I actually like this foundation way more than I thought that I would initially. I could definitely see this going on my list of favorite drugstore foundations. 

Sonia Kashuk Highlighter Stick Persian Sunset - When I saw this little gem I really wanted the more champagne shade but, it wasn't in stock so I figured I would give this little guy a shot anyway.  Swatching it on my hand it seemed a little shimmery which it is but, underneath a setting powder it looks a bit more dewy and subtle on the cheek. I love the way that it catches the light and it's easily blended out to avoid it looking too harsh. 

All and all I have to say that this was a pretty decent group of goodies other than a few minor duds. I'm already planning my next trip down the makeup aisle. 

No comments :

Post a Comment