Thursday, June 25, 2015

Melting Down My Lipsticks | A New Obsession


When I started building my freelance kit I began melting down some of my lipsticks so that they would take up less room and I could bring more colors with me. At first I wasn't wild about the idea of dismantling my little babies but once I started doing it I kind of liked it. I don't think I would do it to any of my favorites but, still it's pretty fun and kind of addicting. 

Melting down your lipsticks is kind of a cross between a craft project and a science experiment. Craft esque because colors and science experiment because if melting something over an open flame isn't science I don't know what is anymore. I use bead stacks I got from Michael's as the containers and then I write the names of the colors on little dot stickers and place them on the bottom of each stack cup. After a heartfelt goodbye I cut up each lipstick with an exacto knife making sure that I get out everything in the bullet and pop it in a spoon over the candle flame until it completely melts down. I make sure to keep the spoon moving and make sure it never touches the flame or starts to boil. When it's all said and done I pour each color into its designated cup and let it cool. When I'm done I just screw the little cups together and pop them in my kit. 

I've melted down about twelve lipsticks so far and bought enough stacks to melt down twelve more. The hardest part is picking which ones to melt down since I want them to not be just random ones and have practical use to them. Trust me, if I didn't control myself half of my lipstick collection would already be melted down and I would be well on my way to making a lipstick stack castle. 

Does anyone else start doing random things then become obsessed with them or is it just me?!

No comments :

Post a Comment