Tuesday, April 15, 2014

DIY Sea Salt Spray


The season of wavy beachy mermaid hair is upon us! The perfect amount of disheveled and put together all in one flowy style that really embodies what this warm spring and summer weather is all about. An amazing way to you get perfect beach waves is with a sea salt spray. This is because it gives you tons of texture (just like you went to the beach but, without all the sand up in your parts.) You can purchase sea salt sprays at virtually any store but I prefer to make my own at home because it allows me to get the perfect consistency that works best for me... and it can save some money. I start with an easy basic recipe and then tweak it until it's just right.




Ingredients:

a spray bottle
1 cup of warm water
2 teaspoons of sea salt (or epsom salt)
1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon of gel

This recipe is super simple and it gives you everything you need for perfect beach hair. The sea salt gives amazing texture while the gel gives your waves a light hold and the coconut oil protects your hair from drying out. 

Pour the warm water into the spray bottle and add in the two teaspoons of sea salt. Screw on the cap and shake it up until the sea salt has completely dissolved in the water. When it's done open the bottle and add in the 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil and the 1/4 teaspoon of gel. Again close the bottle and shake it up until it has all dissolved. At this point you have yourself your own DIY sea salt spray. I usually add in a little more gel and sea salt because I have super thick hair. If you want to give your sea salt spray a little personal touch you can add tea tree or macadamia oil. 

Sea salt sprays work the best on towel dried hair. I prefer pretty intense waves so I usually prepare my hair the night before. After I get out of the shower I spray the sea salt spray throughout my hair and then put my hair into two braids which I sleep on over night. the next morning I take them out, add a little more spray and scrunch my hair a bit then I'm good to go. For less intense waves I just spray the sea salt spray on damp hair, give it a good scrunch and blow dry. For any more texture you may want to add you can always tease your hair and/or add some loose curls with a large barrel hair curler. 

No comments :

Post a Comment