Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My Current Hair Care Routine


Overall I my hair routine is well... very routine. Within the last few months when it comes to my hair I keep a pretty regimented. I've learned to create a balance for what keeps both my hair and my scalp in line. I would have to say it wasn't until this past year (half way through 2015 to be exact) that I actually started treating my hair with the love and care it deserves. I'm a reformed hair abuser and I'm kind of making up for lost time here. I'm still not super fussy with my hair but I have two hair goals that I am constantly thinking about 1) don't go bald and 2) keep it hydrated. 

I like to think my goals are pretty simple and upfront. Some people might think it's silly that one of my goals is not to go bald but I'm fluffin serious. I have a ton of thick coarse hair but, I have psoriasis which can cause bald patches where flare ups occur. Ever since I started getting flare ups I've lost a lot of density in my hair overall. Most of my flare ups occur around my hairline so if I started looking like I had a receding hairline I would basically shrivel up die. On the other hand I just think hydration is important to balance my scalp and give some life back to my hair since it is coarse, a little brittle, and previously abused it's basically desert dry. I could honestly put about anything into my hair to hydrate it and it would instantly drink it all up with barely any impact to the way that it feels. 

I cycle a decent amount of hair products on a weekly basis in order to keep everything well balanced. It may be... actually it definitely is overkill in my opinion for most people but it's what works best for me. My hair routine is on a weekly schedule and I wash my hair three times a week. My whole routine is based around this weekly time frame.  

Castor Oil - I use castor oil once a week in order to strengthen my hair roots and hydrate my hair and scalp. I heat some up in a little bowl and then apply it all over. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll either leave it on for an hour or I'll keep it in overnight. 

Alterna Exfoliating Scalp Facial - I also use this once a week after my castor oil treatment in order to exfoliate my scalp and add a boost of moisture to my scalp. This is a big part of what makes my scalp feel comfortable and fresh. 

Neutrogena T-Gel/ Sulfur 8 - The first shampoo I use every week is always a treatment shampoo for my psoriasis. I typically will use the treatment shampoo twice a week. I have to keep this in my rotation for obvious reasons. I use whatever I have on hand at the time because both the T-Gel and the Sulfur 8 work pretty well but, I prefer the Sulfur 8 because it doesn't smell as bad and it isn't as drying. The only con to sulfur 8 is that the bottle is on the smaller side and I run out rather quickly. 

Alterna Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner - The second time I wash my hair I start with the T-Gel/ Sulfur 8 and then follow it up with the Alterna Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. I do this because I need the treatment to prevent a flare up but the shampoo tends to be on the dry side and can leave my hair super dry and my scalp feeling tight. The treatment shampoo leaves my scalp clean while the Alterna combo brings some nourishment allowing my hair to look much healthier. 

Alterna Repair Instant Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner - The third time I wash my hair I strictly use the Repair Instant Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner in order to strengthen my hair and prevent further damage and breakage. I only use this once a week because it contains protein and using it too much can actually have adverse effects (I found that out the hard way.)  

Aveda Stress-Fix Lavender Composition Oil - I use this oil on my scalp after every time I wash my hair. This oil helps to hydrate and balance the scalp while strengthening the hair follicles. As an extra bonus lavender is my favorite scent and it really puts me in a calm and relaxed mood. 

Living Proof Restore Instant Repair - This is a repairing lotion that I use twice a week in order to help strengthen my hair and repair my sad sad little strands. I really like that it's lightweight and doesn't leave my hair feeling greasy or weighed down.

Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Primer - Nine times out of ten I let my hair air dry. I only straighten it a few times a week because I have naturally straight hair and I think most of the time it looks best when I just leave it be but, on the occasion when I use heat I always make sure to put this in before hand in order to protect it from. Not only does it protect my hair but it also leaves it feeling soft, smooth, and tangle free. 

Like I said my routine is a bit of overkill in it's entirety but, overall each part of my weekly routine doesn't take up much time or effort on my part at all. I don't use a ton of styling products or anything like that and I'm still pretty lazy when it comes to doing much styling and things of such nature. I rock the bed head and messy bun pretty routinely. 

No comments :

Post a Comment