Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid | Review


It's been a long time since I've done a solid poke around the drugstore so I made that one of my first missions of 2016. They had a ton of newness and although I didn't pick up a ton of things I made a mental note of things that I need to try ASAP. Obviously, I couldn't put everything I wanted to try on hold; especially these new Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid lippies that called to me like a siren's song. If you've been here for any length of time you know my love for matte liquid lips. 
I've noticed that drugstore makeup brands are really stepping up their matte lipstick game. Tons of brands are coming out with their own renditions and I think it's pretty exciting. I'm swooning at the thought of their being so many new lip products to try. 



The Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquids definitely caught my attention more than any of the others. I think it was a combination of the cute sleek packaging and the fact that "Matte Liquid" instantly made me think of liquid lipsticks like Jeffree Star's and ColourPop. I'm not going to lie I was very wrong about my inkling of their formulation because I was very, very wrong. I'm also not going to lie that at first I was pretty disappointed and deeply saddened. My expectations really killed me but, once I put that aside I got over it. 

The Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid lips are actually pretty similar to the new Tarteist Lip Paints. They have a creamy mousse like texture that never really quite dries down. They are definitely a bit thicker than the Tarteist Lip Paints but the wear is still very comfortable. The Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid lips also leave a stain behind so when the color starts to fade and transfer it's a bit less noticeable and it gives the lippie the appearance of being more matte.  

I picked up two of the Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid lip shades, 5 Nude Thrill and 50 Possessed Plum. Out of the ten shades these two spoke to me the most. I do have to say that they both wear quite differently though. I find that Nude Thrill wears much better than Possessed Plum because Nude Thrill is opaque in just one swipe and the finish is pretty matte, there is a bit of a shine but not much making it more true to it being a "matte liquid." Possessed Plum on the other hand is a bit patchy and because it never dries down it was close to impossible to get a good second layer on top to even it out. The finish of Possessed Plum also isn't very matte at all it actually looks more like a cream sheen until a few hours in when it begins to wear off. Regardless both of them have a pretty solid 4-5 hour wear to them unless there is eating involved. They come right off if you eat something but the stain will remain behind and touch ups are a breeze. 

I prefer the Tarteist Lip Paints over the Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid lips because I prefer the way that the Tarte ones wear but, I think these are a great cheap alternative. They are definitely a nice drugstore matte lip to try if you like the application of liquid lipsticks but don't like the dry feel of the typical matte liquid lipstick formula. 

No comments :

Post a Comment