Wednesday, January 4, 2017

What I Use to Dye My Hair Red | My Most Frequently Asked Question



I've had this post in the works for awhile and I actually had the entire post written and ready to go in my drafts when blogger decided to totally wipe everything I had written from the post. It's a defeating feeling but the show must go on and here we are once again. 'What I use to dye my hair' is my most frequently asked question by far so I figured there would be no better topic for a blog post. This way I can go into a lot more detail other than just what products I use. 
I feel like I should go into this post first by stating that red can be quite a temperamental color and just as any jewel tone or other "unnatural" hair color it takes a bit more maintenance if you want to keep the color looking fresh and vibrant. Personally, I find the upkeep to be completely worth it and after awhile it just feels like a routine part of your beauty remient. 


For actually hair dye purposes I only use three products on my hair.

L'Oreal HiColor HiLights in Magenta: When I originally dyed my hair this is the dye that I used all over. It's a high lift dye which basically means that it lifts your hair color while it deposits color eliminating the bleaching step. I use the dye mixed with a 30 developer for about 30 minutes. I dye my hair every 6 to 8 weeks. I don't mind having a decent amount of root before re-dying my hair. Now that my hair is the red shade that I want I only use this to dye my roots. This prevents more damage to my hair than necessary. Please note that this dye is for dark hair only so if you have lighter hair consider an alternative that works well for your hair type/color. 

Beyond The Zone Crimson Storm Demi-Permanent Dye: Now that my hair is as bright as I want it to be this is the dye that I use all over in between root touch ups. The undertones and shade work really well with my original dye so even when I'm only dying my roots my color looks seamless. I dye my hair with this every couple weeks depending on how much it's faded (i.e. how often I've actually washed it.) 

Celeb Viral Red Colorwash: In between dyes I use this color wash in order to keep my hair vibrant and reduce fading. I use this shampoo once every two washes or so depending on how my color is looking. When using this color wash I put it all over and then allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before washing it out so the color can stick as much as possible. I follow it up with a sulfate free conditioner if I feel like it's necessary. 

I've had red hair in the past and I've found that this hair cocktail works best for me because of it's longevity and ease. I hope this helps all that were interested! 

1 comment :