Thursday, January 8, 2015

L'Oreal Infallible Lip 2 Step | Review


Recently, L'Oreal came out with these Infallible Lip 2 Step liquid lipsticks. They are advertised as super pigmented long wearing, transfer proof, no bleed, no fade lipsticks. These lip products have the liquid lipstick on one side (step one) and a balm on the other (side 2) that seals in the color. After applying both sides of the product it feels pretty light and moisturizing on the lips. At first the balm makes the lips a little shiny but the finish becomes matte as the balm wear off. They have a gorgeous color range that hits every point on the spectrum from neutral to bold which is always great because it allows everyone to find the perfect shade for them. 


I picked up four of the L'Oreal Infallible Lip 2 Steps a few days ago after they caught my eye at several stores I had been to (all in the same day I might add.) My little haul consisted of Cherry Noir, Continual Crimson, Neverending Nutmeg, and Permanent Blush. I love a good long lasting lip because it is ideal for work. It's important to me that I don't always have to worry about my lipstick every five minutes when I am trying to work, I hate being stressed over whether or not my lipstick has come off or is all gross and patchy. I normally go for matte liquid lipsticks and lip stains for the sake of sanity. 


Cherry Noir - Plum wine with shimmer



Continual Crimson - Orange toned red



Neverending Nutmeg - Brown mauve



Permanent Blush - Peachy pink with shimmer

When it comes to these L'Oreal Infallible Lip 2 Steps I am kind of in a love hate relationship and at the moment I am kind of leaning a little more towards hate but, let me explain myself. I absolutely love the colors, Neverending Nutmeg, is my absolute favorite and the fact that the color lasts all day is amazing. It never feels super drying on the lips, the color doesn't bleed, and there is virtually no transfer. In theory this sounds pretty amazing and it is but, these lip products are tricky and a bit difficult and I am going to tell you why. You have to wait until the first layer is completely dry before you add on the balm because if you don't your color will become patchy. Clearly this makes sense, it takes a minute or two to work, during your wait try not to close your mouth or rub your lips together. This is because you can cause the color to become uneven and when it begins to dry the lacquer feels like sticker residue and will virtually seal your mouth shut until you pry your mouth open again making it a slightly uncomfortable wait. You also cannot put too many layers of lacquer on because it can cause any patchiness to become worse and too thick for it to seal properly with the balm, this is more evident in the darker colors than it is with the light ones. Also, in doing this it can cause the product to rub off in the middle of your lips like a dry erase marker once you try to seal it in with the balm leaving you with a ring of lipstick that is very tricky and sticky to get off. I do have to say though as long as you only use a light layer or two, let it dry, then add on the balm the L'Oreal Infallible Lip 2 Steps work very well and will be fine if you have to touch it up a little later (which would be very rare need.) Honestly, the application isn't 100% horrible it's just annoying and time consuming to do properly and trust me you want to do it right because once it's there it's there. 


[Cherry Noir | Continual Crimson | Neverending Nutmeg | Permanent Blush]

My real issue with this product really occurs when it comes to removal. Let me just reiterate again that these L'Oreal Infallible Lip 2 Steps have amazing staying power. Today I put Cherry Noir on at 8:30 am right before I went into work and it didn't come off at all until about 10 pm and that is only because I intentionally took it off. It barely budged even through all of my eating and drinking and I never touched it up. In that regard it's pretty much a dream until you have to take it off and then it becomes a nightmare. The first time I tried to take it off was during a shower. I cleansed my face with the Caudalie Gentle Cleansing Milk and instead of removing the lipstick it just made my mouth, chin, and cheeks feel very sticky like they were covered in sticker residue. The lipstick color didn't move, instead it distributed its strange texture all over my face. Then afterwards I attempted to remove it with the Dr. Dennis Gross Smart Color Cleanser and Mask which also did not work. A makeup wipe almost worked but really only made the situation really patchy and diseased looking. It wasn't until I rubbed my mouth raw with a towel that it came off. Fortunately since then I have found the best way to get it off is with some elbow grease, coconut oil, and a lip scrub even though it is still not the easiest task. 

If it wasn't for the touchy application process and the near impossible removal I would really enjoy these L'Oreal Infallible Lip 2 Steps. They feel really light on and you never have to worry about smudging or reapplying. I've been trying to give them more of a chance and they have been growing on me but I still can't get past the original issues that I've had with this product. Maybe these work really well for some people but, for me in the end it just isn't very worth it. I am still trying to use the lighter shades even though I've decided to call it quits with the darker ones.

No comments :

Post a Comment