Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My Surgery (Disaster) Story


My apologies for being so MIA lately but these past few weeks have been a total roller coaster ride that I was not nearly ready for at all. A few months ago I was told I had a dermoid cyst and I needed to have it and my left ovary removed. I was going back and forth about even talking about the situation because I'm not looking for sympathy. Obviously, I'm well enough to be writing this post so we're good over here. I thought sharing my story may make other people feel a little better if they ever find themselves in the same situation - although I truly hope no one has to go through the same complications I did. There is something really discomforting in losing part of your baby making set. Fortunately, it has no repercussions on the ability to have children. You can have children with one ovary or even half an ovary. 

*PSA - If medical things freak you out don't read on.*

Going into my cyst removal surgery things were lollipops and rainbows. I figured I would have the surgery, be in a little bit of pain/discomfort, and be well recovered in two weeks or less. It was a nice thought and honestly after the surgery I didn't realize anything was even wrong because they said the pains I was having were typical. They told me they had drained my bladder during surgery so they told me I had to stay there until I went to the bathroom. I drank virtually anything within reaching distance but I still couldn't pee more than a trickle (sorry TMI but that's how it went.) They seemed to believe that it was enough though and I was allowed to be sent home. Before I even got home I was extremely nauseous and short of breath. I spent the rest of the night writhing in pain no matter what pain medicine my parents gave me.  

By the next morning I was in an inconceivable amount of pain and I was rushed back to the hospital. Upon arriving the the ER they found that I had an approximately 2 inch long tear in the anterior aspect of my bladder. I was told that I was in acute renal failure and peritonitis (inflammation caused by a bacterial infection from the tear.) I'm pretty sure I out screamed the woman in the room next to me that was about to deliver a baby sans epidural.  

Most things after that were a blur - half because I basically blacked out from the pain and secondly because they had me on so much morphine I just slept. The next thing I know I'm going into my second surgery but this time with a few more doctors stepping in to aid - a urologist, a plastic surgeon, an infectious disease doctor, and an internist. There were ten people in total in the operating room. Before the surgery even started they had to give me two pints of blood. Fortunately, I was stable enough after the surgery I didn't need to be incubated overnight but, I did have to stay in the Intermediate Care Unit (a step below ICU) where they hooked me up with IVs and monitored me 24/7 for about a week. When I was well enough they sent me to another floor where it was quieter and I didn't have to be monitored as closely.  


During my hospital stay my vitals and blood work were all over the place since my body was trying to fight off infection and heal itself from two separate surgeries. I was unable to walk for a majority of my stay so my first few steps were actually pretty rough but each day got a little easier and I didn't waddle like a penguin as much. I still waddle a little from being stiff and sore but it's way less noticeable.

 The whole situation was really eye opening and made me realize that I should be really thankful that things weren't worse than they were. Being in the hospital is physically and emotionally draining. My heart truly goes out to those that have to stay there for an extended amount of time. There's no dignity sitting in a hospital bed not being able to do anything for yourself. You're seriously at the mercy of your caretakers and with hospitals being severely understaffed there are many times where you may not be able to have someone help you for 30 minutes to over an hour. I'm so thankful that I had my parents with me the entire time I was there to make sure I was okay - I really couldn't ask for more.

My recovery is going to be a long journey but, I'm on my way to a good place. I'm just glad to be home in my own bed. Hospital beds are built like boats and are extremely uncomfortable 0 out of 10 stars - would not recommend. 

No comments :

Post a Comment